Here are the first 5 things you should do if your doctor says you have PreDiabetes
1. Consult a registered dietitian and preferably a certified diabetes educator (http://www.ncbde.org/find-a-cde/) to find out the what you should be eating.
2. Ask your doctor if you are cleared to begin an exercise regimen. If so, and if you haven't exercised in a while start with 20 minutes of walking per day (go at your own pace but you should be breaking a sweat) if you have been moderately active then start with 30 minutes of brisk cardiovascular exercise 5 x's per week.
3. Gradually increase the fiber in your diet until you get up to 30-40 grams of fiber per day.
4. Cut out all sources of added sugars: cakes, cookies, candies, soda, ice cream.
5. Increase the vegetables in your diet. Half of your plate should be covered with vegetables.