You've never had tempeh like this before! Herbal notes from the basil pair perfectly with the savory umami of miso to make this dish an easy winner for a weeknight main course. Pair with sautéed vegetables (especially mushrooms!) for a wonderfully well-rounded dinner.
Miso Glazed Tempeh
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 8oz pack tempeh, chopped into bite-size cubes
- 1 Tbsp sweet white miso
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 tightly packed cup sweet basil, rough chop
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Tbsp scallion, sliced
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place tempeh on sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown at edges.
- In small bowl, combine miso, soy sauce, water, basil, garlic and scallion. Whisk to combine.
- Transfer to medium sauté pan and bring to light simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer 10 minutes. Strain.
- Combine cornstarch and water, whisk to combine.
- Add cornstarch slushy to miso mixture and whisk to thicken.
- Remove tempeh from oven and add to sauté pan. Sauté 1-2 minutes to coat tempeh.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.