This tomato soup is a zesty evening pick-me-up! Mushrooms add an unexpected body to the dish and a touch of lemon at the end brings out all those herbal notes. If you're feeling fancy, reduce this soup down into a thicker sauce and use for a zucchini lasagna or over some quinoa!
Spicy Tomato Soup
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- ½ 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 8oz package white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, not seeded, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 2 sprigs sage, leaves only, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves only
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 14.5oz can fire-roasted tomatoes, crushed
- 4 roma tomatoes, quartered chopped
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 5 grinds black pepper
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- 1 bunch basil, chiffonade (optional)
- In large stock pot, heat grapeseed oil on high until slick and shiny.
- Add onion, garlic with a dash of salt. Sauté 4-5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add mushrooms with Serrano pepper and sauté another 4-5 minutes until water from mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, sage, rosemary, red chili flake and sauté 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Deglaze pan with white wine and let reduce au sec.
- Add fire-roasted tomatoes and vine tomatoes with vegetable stock, soy sauce and black pepper and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Add lemon juice and fish sauce.
- Blend to desired chunky consistency.
- Garnish with basil if desired.