Fish lovers of all sorts unite! Whether you prefer raw or cooked, this tuna chirashi bowl is a harmony of flavors and textures you'll find yourself totally addicted after just one dinner ;)
Tuna Chirashi Bowl with Brown Rice
Time: 45 minutes
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp ponzu
- 1 cup water
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
Per Bowl Assembly
- ½ cup brown rice, cooked
- 3 shiso leaves
- 1 small handful mung bean sprouts
- 1 small handful shredded carrots
- 1 Tbsp pickled daikon, shredded
Seared or Raw Tuna
- 4 oz ahi or albacore tuna
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp toasted furikake
- 1 sprinkle black sesame seeds
- 1 sprinkle toasted white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp scallion, sliced thinly on a bias
- In small stock pot, bring soy sauce, ponzu and water to a rolling bowl.
- Add dried shiitake and lower heat to low.
- Cover and let simmer 30 minutes until shiitakes are soft and pliable.
- Stem shiitakes and slice. Set aside.
- Assemble chirashi bowl with shiso leaves at bottom, then warm rice, mung beans, carrots and daikon.
- If raw tuna is preferred, slice tuna, toss with soy sauce and place over rice.
- If seared tuna preferred, heat 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil in sauté pan over high heat until slice and shiny. Toss tuna (in 1 filet) with soy sauce and sear until lightly brown on each side. Let sit 1 minute and slice into pieces before adding to rice.
- Garnish with nori flakes, sesame seeds and scallion.