This authentic Thai curry has just the right amount of spice to aromatics with tons of umami built in. Make sure to use top quality red curry paste (not powder) to help develop a deep flavor. Kaffir leaves, lemongrass, curry paste, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts should be available at most Asian groceries.
Time: 45 minutes
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 2 1/8” slices ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lemongrass stalk, outer leaves removed, chopped into 5” pieces, sliced halved
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 5oz can sliced bamboo shoots, drained, rinsed
- 1 4oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup whole fat coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- In large rondeau, heat peanut oil on high until slick and shiny.
- Add red curry paste and sauté 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add onions, ginger, garlic, kaffir and lemongrass. Sauté 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
- Add red bell pepper and shiitake mushrooms and sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and sauté another 4-5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, fish sauce, maple syrup and coconut milk.
- Bring to a light simmer and let simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- Top with and cilantro.
Note: lemongrass should not be eaten.